Chemist Shop is still the most sought health relief center for people, even in this digitalized world. It is the reason that the global retail drug market size reached 1,420 billion USD in 2017 and is growing at a CAGR of 3.6% annually. The growing aging population, chronic diseases, and recently, the COVID-19 crisis adds fuel to its rapid growth. The history of the pharmacies coincides with the development of medicine to be part and parcel of it. From the ancient apothecaries to pharmacists, all provide the best medicines for instant relief to people for many health issues. A recent study confirms that four out of ten people trust their pharmacists and consult with them for their health problems.
Let us check out the many fantastic facts of chemist shop which has helped people for centuries.
Evolution of chemist shop
Millions visit pharmacies even today, even after the rapid growth of Online Medicine or e-pharmacies. It is the culture for convenience developed thousands of years ago. There is a 1,100-page document recording the ancient Egyptian pharmacological knowledge about 800 prescriptions using drugs derived from plants as early as 16 century BC.
But it was only over 2300 years later that was the establishment of drug stores in Baghdad in 750 AD, known as the Islamic Golden Age. In 1729, retail pharmacies started in Philadelphia in the US, which spread like fire worldwide to give immediate relief. Now, chemist shop with the help of modern technology is only going strong to service people in better ways for their health-related issues.
Chemist shop & OTC drugs
OTC or over-the-counter drugs are the major medicines sold in many pharmacies worldwide. It is the reason that the global OTC drug market size is to grow from 175.47 to 264.46 billion USD from 2020 to 2025. People worldwide because for many reasons, do not have the time to visit doctors for many reasons for their chronic pains and other health-related issues. They only go to the nearby local pharmacy to get their medications for immediate relief. And these OTC drugs do not need the doctors’ prescription for the pharmacists to give them to the people. Hence, the chemist shop‘s growth even in this digitalized world is more because of its many benefits, including:
Benefits of chemist shop
- People trust pharmacists for personal advice on their health issues only next to doctors.
- Pharmacists offer immediate relief for health issues of people depending on the emergent situations before visiting doctors.
- Only the pharmacists can give the best course of action or advice on health issues to local people.
- Pharmacists offer cost-effective medications as they have community connections and play a role in local happenings to know about any health-related issues spreading in the locality.
- Unlike online buying of medicines, the chemist shop’s quality customer service is much more than the medication to be still the first choice of people worldwide for buying medications.
Chemist shop & innovative technologies
Gone are the days when pharmacies only buy medicines from local distributors to sell them to people. Now many innovative technologies have redefined the pharmacist industry to serve the people better. Now there are many national and international pharmacist store chains to open shops in many cities and towns. With the enormous volume of business, they can offer a lot of discounts on prices to reduce their medical costs. The supply chain, barcode billing, and others facilitate it with innovative technologies.
- The cloud-based inventory management system enables chemist shops to automatically share information across various locations, re-order stock automatically, and review past transactions.
- Help pharmacists to refill prescriptions of patients through their smartphones with secure text messages or emails to take medicines continuously for proper health
- Bar code identification enhances the supply chain to deliver the medicines in time, reduces administrative errors, and improves medication history.
- Enables pharmacies to comply with the rules and regulations to deliver only high-quality medicines to people
- Sell advanced medical equipment like health sensors that can track movements, take measurements, and record information for maintaining proper health care.
Chemist shop challenges
Chemist shop also faces challenges in many forms in this digitalized world. With many people changing to book medicines online, it is one of the formidable challenges for it. Also, some sell defective drugs with inappropriate quantities of active ingredients. Also, the stringent rules and regulations in many countries are both posing challenges and opportunities for it. The enormous investment needed to open a chain of pharmacist shops or compete with their discount rates is another major challenge.
For centuries chemist shop has survived many challenges and will do so in the future to help people with instant relief for their health problems to keep up with their trust.